One of the most fundamental duties that we owe our clients is the duty to provide them with loyal and independent representation. In other words, we are duty bound to put their interests first and to avoid conflicts of interest; something that becomes increasingly difficult to the extent we enter into professional and personal relationships with clients, opposing counsel and parties, judges and others involved in the legal process.
In this eye-opening webinar, legal humorist Sean Carter will recount the tales of those lawyers who failed to meet this duty by creating the following entanglements:
- Entering into business transactions with clients
- Accepting gifts from clients;
- Accepting (or giving) loans;
- Romantic entanglements with clients;
- Friendships with judicial officers;
- Family and close relationships with opposing counsel/parties